Improved Button Maker Machine
We recently purchased a button maker machine for the office. While the machine itself works well, the process wasn't very speedy or accurate for two reasons.
1) There is a cross shaped black section on the top die that must be lifted and turned twice for each button - it's a bit slippery and the same width as the rest of the die so not easy to grip quickly for everone on the team. Sugru bump outs added to the ends of black piece making gripping the black bit much easier
2) You are supposed to line up the die sets with the black sharpie marks (still visible in the photo on the upper red die) to ensure proper alignment of the top and bottom pieces. We did this visually with great care but it slowed us down. Sugru to the rescue again - we added registration bumpers to the top and bottom die with a bit of plastic wrap between the two to keep them from sticking during curing. Now we can simply snap the dies together and get perfect registration ever time.
One packet of blue Sugru was more than enough for the whole hack and makes the button machine more festive. Thanks Sugru!
Great hack, the photos are so good with the explanations. I really like that this improves production speed of badges (as we call them in the UK). Thank you very much for sharing. I've shared this hack at http:/reddit/r/Sugru too.
Thanks very kindly sir! Our buttons were actually made for our parody-within-a-paraody of a very well beloved British show :)