Take gaming to the next level &
sharpen your maker skills
What do you get when you put a bunch of 3D-printed parts, some micro-electronics, a legendary maker, and a few packs of mouldable glue together in a California workshop? The world’s first interactive robot of Pathfinder from the video game Apex Legends, duh.
We asked John Edgar Park, mighty maker, technical wizard and long-term Sugru super-fan, to come up with a cool project using Sugru. Something epic but achievable for our makers in the Sugru community. When he unveiled this ridiculously fun build, we were literally out of superlatives.
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts
John made some pretty impressive parts for this little number. First up, he created multiple parts using a 3D printer and used Fritzing software to design the technical drawings and circuitry. He then built the various electronic components: a touch screen and microcontroller based on an Adafruit Pyportal, a tiny amplifier and speaker for the audio effects, and a power booster converter to power the bot. He even made Pathfinder’s accessories, including his famous grappling hook canisters.
Sugru is the secret weapon for every maker
John was one of our very first customers. Like all makers, he finds Sugru Mouldable Glue’s versatility perfect for every kind of maker project. To simplify the process on this build, he used Sugru to assemble everything. It allowed him to seamlessly combine different 3D parts, shapes and materials – like Pathfinder’s single-eye lens (Sugru is almost the only adhesive able to stick to glass).
John also used Sugru to mount the internal electronics and embed magnets so parts could click together. Finally, Sugru enabled John to bond Pathfinder's external parts, strengthen levers and joints, and add some sculptural elements and colourful details (Sugru is available in 10 colours).
See for yourself...
What about building your own interactive robot? You can, by downloading the plans for this brilliant project.
A bit about John Edgar Park...
John’s maker career spans digital film production working with Disney Animation Studios and Sony Pictures Imageworks on movies such as Bolt, Tinker Bell, Spider Man 2 and The Matrix films, to name-drop a few blockbusters. He currently works with Adafruit Industries, the ground-breaking open-source electronics company helping to make electronics, technology and programming more accessible. John is also one of the founding members of Make Magazine, and he continues to spearhead the maker movement creating videos and learning guides.
And a bit about Pathfinder...
EA’s award-winning Apex Legends is a free-to-play, online, multiplayer game with over 70 million players and counting. It’s part of the staggeringly successful ‘battle royale’ genre that’s taking over popular culture. Pathfinder, real name MRVN (Mobile Robotic Versatile eNtity), is a scouting specialist famous for his Grappling Hook and Zipline Gun. He was abandoned in a laboratory decades ago without knowing who he is, why he's here, and who made him. Yet, he remains eternally optimistic fighting through the wild Frontier in search of his creator.
Are you feeling inspired to get creative?
Check out all the Sugru maker projects. There is something for everyone – whatever your skill levels.
Meet Kelvin Doe, the world’s youngest self-taught engineer
Make an iPad wall mount
An easy, no drill solution to mount an iPad wherever you want.
10 Rebel Tech Tricks
10 cool maker kits and projects
Miracle Controller: Ben and Vivek Q&A
13 Sugru Designs That Make Things Easier For People To Use
Customise your XBox game controller
Add Sugru buttons
Mod your game controller
Sugru makes it easy to improve your gaming gear!
6 Ways to mod your camera
TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. The promoter of the 3D Printer competition is FormFormForm Ltd (company no. 05256222), the company responsible for producing Sugru Mouldable Glue, whose registered office is at Unit 2, 47-49 Tudor Road, London, E9 7SN.
2. The competition is open to people in all countries and territories worldwide, aged 18 years and over.
3. The competition is not open to employees of FormFormForm Ltd or TESA Ltd and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with the organisation or judging of the competition.
4. Purchase of Sugru is not necessary to enter this competition.
5. Signing up to the Sugru newsletter is necessary to enter this competition.
6. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
7. Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are via https://sugru.com/go/makers-and-creators-competition
9. Only one entry will be accepted per person. Additional entries will automatically be disqualified.
10. Closing date and time for entry will be 23:59 (GMT) on 23.07.20. After this time and date no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
11. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for any reason.
12. The rules of the competition and how to enter are as follows:
a) Enter via the the competition page https://sugru.com/go/makers-and-creators-competition
b) Sign up to the Sugru newsletter by ticking the box and supplying your email address
13. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
14. The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
15. The prize is a 3D Creality3D Ender-3 pro High Precision 3D Printer.
The prize is as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prize is not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
16. Winners will be chosen at random.
17. The winner will be notified by email within 28 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or they do not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner. The same notification period will apply to the replacement winner, from the date of selection. The winner will also be announced on the following Sugru social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.
18. The promoter will notify the winner when and where the prize will be delivered.
19. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
20. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
21. The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
22. The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material, as well as their entry. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent. All personal data will be kept secure by FormFormForm Ltd. and will not be shared with any third parties.
23. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.