Design Strategist and Project Planner – US Market Entry, 9–12 month contract
Fixing is good. We believe in the power of imagination to beat our throwaway culture. Our founder, designer Jane ni Dhulchaointigh invented Sugru, the world’s first mouldable glue technology, to fuel a new generation of doers and help get the world fixing and making again. Today there are more than 2 million people around the world fixing with Sugru. The creative and entrepreneurial company behind the invention has recently joined forces with global adhesives group tesa SE and with this strengthened position, is focused on a mission to make tesa a digital first, global consumer brand championing empowerment through its whole range, including Sugru as a global household name of the future.
The role will be contract and primarily based in our office in Hackney, London and there will be travel requirements to Hamburg, Germany and extended travel in the USA to develop insights and iterative learning key events, manage insight work and meetings with stakeholders (up to 15% of the time). The role interfaces closely with a multi-disciplinary team of project managers, designers, copywriters, marketeers, communication designers and product developers and reports into the Chief Brand & Marketing Officer.
Project Team Setup:
- A Brand Project & Engagement Lead who sets the overall strategy and scope for the project, brand direction and 10-year outlook, marketing approach and positioning development and works with team and partners to ensure alignment between project objectives, brand vision, strategy and the insight work. (Simon, Chief Brand & Marketing Officer, 50% of available time)
- Design Strategist & Project Planner who is primarily responsible for the scoping, design and execution of the insight work, project management, building design prototypes, materials and models for testing and workshopping, framing and the sensemaking that follows. (Contract, 100% of available time, 9-12 months)
- Communication Designer/Copywriters who work on the creation of visual assets and prototyping to support research. (Matteo/Mel/Alex, 20-60 % of available time as needed)
- Product Designer/Developer to analyse and understand product offer and competitors (James C, 50% of available time)
- Lead Project Manager, Supply Chain expert and as needed functional contributors (Ramona, 80% of time, Birgit, 20% of time, and as needed from tesa’s structure for duration of project)
- Hands on structuring of iterative insight including developing and proposing the right approaches and methodologies (ethnography, 1:1s, recruiting consumers, experts, developing insight with the team (3 months)
- Facilitating workshops and alignments with stakeholders (2 months)
- Framing and document creation and synthesis documents (2 months)
- Project planning & management (2 months)
- Lead project, manage stakeholders and facilitate teams through discovery research, synthesis, ideation, design, and testing for an established range of products considering a new market entry
- Build a design thinking methodology to ensure the voice of the customer is represented first and foremost
- Translate various data streams into insights, frameworks, innovations and expressions of human and brand needs that will last well beyond the initial launch
- Lead key work packages in the project ranging from front-end strategic planning work to detailed validation exercises of all stages of launch, encouraging all contributors to deliver their individual work streams on time and on budget
- Create compelling presentations and deliver focused recommendations
- Challenge the team to develop and experiment with new methods and techniques to suit the needs of the project
- Provide a strategic lens within the project that remains focused on the key deliverables of overarching customer experience, product portfolio, roadmap, business case, etc.
- Support our learning experiences team in translating crafting and coaching design thinking learning experiences that teach a mix of stakeholders how to operate in the future
- Adept at pivoting between commercial and business strategy, design & brand, and UX
- Facilitate workshops with energy and clarity of purpose, use a consensus building approach
- Proven ability to problem solve through design processes, with multiple examples of where you have helped businesses arrive at successful solutions
- Ability to lead design initiatives at the intersection of digital and physical experiences
- Have a collaborative, interdisciplinary background and understand the need to be inclusive and appreciate not all teams understand a design-led approach; coach a range of audiences to better understand and celebrate such an approach
- Comfortable with ambiguity; can coach others through ambiguous processes
- Embody an open, collaborative way of working, a visual thinker who is adept at communicating via various formats, software platforms and tools
- Expert at translating well researched observations into insights
A background in consumer brands, with understanding of e-commerce, digital and product design, UX. An exposure to and experience of the US market would be a plus.
Bachelors/MA in design strategy, design thinking
8+ years relevant experience in product design, innovation practices, communication & brand strategy in the consumer space
Experience with ambiguity and adept at making the complex simple
Ability to synthesize and iterate with an enthusiasm for the design thinking methodology
Detail-oriented and able to work independently and across disciplines on multiple projects
Passion for brands and user experience
Effective at uncovering and navigating constraints in order to help the business improve experiences for customers in the real world
Excited to work on a multidisciplinary team and open to jumping into the unknown with new methods
See opportunities where others see obstacles and constraints
Believe that business acumen and design sensibilities are equally important to the success of a company
Flexible working style; equally happy working independently and within a team environment
Our global HQ is in Hackney in East London. The area is a hub of creative companies and start-ups, and home to the highest concentration of artists in Europe. Housed in a renovated Victorian factory building, you’ll find our factory, laboratories, creative studio and offices all here together. London Fields and Broadway Market are within walking distance and the nearest stations are Hackney Central (10 minute walk), London Fields (5 minute walk) and Bethnal Green (15 min walk).
Remuneration & Incentives:
Annual Compensation for this mid-level role is commensurate with experience and will have a % uplift to reflect the contract terms.
If you think this sounds like you, then don’t just email us your CV, tell us why you think you’re the person for the role! [email protected]